We’ve all been in front of camera, especially in this day and age of the smart phone. However, with so many photos being taken these days, we are bound to grumble at how we look in at least a few of them. Unfortunately, we are our own worst critics. If you’ve recently looked at a photo with disdain then this post’s for you. If you know that you’re going to have a lens pointed in your direction in the near future, below are 6 Ways to Always Look Fantastic in Photos
6 Ways to Always Look Fantastic in Photos
- Get to Know Your Face. This applies to professional photo sessions as well as everyday photos. Take time getting to know your face: how to smile naturally and which side or angle of your face you like better.
- Easy on the makeup. While an evening out is a different story, when it comes to makeup in photos, go easy. If you’re having headshots, family, or maternity photos taken, take it easy on make up application. You want some basic coverage but don’t overdo it. You want to look natural and like yourself. Try accentuating one part of your face by choosing either your eyes or lips but not both.
- Facing the camera. Your photographer will help you when it comes to posing for photos but in general you shouldn’t be facing the camera head on. Positioning your body at an angle always makes for better photos.
- Controlling your chin. Photos where your neck is elongated and your chin is pushed slightly forward will lift your face and give it a more angular look. You might want to practice this beforehand in order to get used to it.
- Pick your outfit carefully. Put some thought into what you’ll wear to your shoot. Pair bold designs and patterns with solid colors to avoid too much distraction. Also consider if the colors you are choosing will blend in with the environment in which you will display the photos. You should also pay attention to the fit and shape of your outfit. Make sure it compliments you and that you feel comfortable. Have someone else take a camera photo snapshot of you to see how you like the outfit.
- Use lighting to your advantage. This is something that your professional photographer will be an expert at but the right lighting can mean the difference between that wow factor and disappointment. Avoid standing directly under a light as this will create weird shadows on your face. If you are taking the photo, find diffused light. (under a shelter, close to a winder, under a porch). Because your photographer is an expert at lighting, you’ll want to take their advice when they suggest a specific time for photos. If shooting outdoors, the best light will be early in the morning and close to sunset. Unless it’s an overcast day, your photographer will always try to get you in full shade so that the lighting isn’t dappled or causing weird shadows on your face.
As much as these 6 Ways to Always Look Fantastic in Photos will help you look your best in your photos, always remember to have fun and relax. This will do wonders for your photos and help you create a fun memory to go along with your photos!
Want more tips for a great family session? Check out my guide HERE.